Sunday, October 28, 2012

Pour it in them

Recently I traveled home and was privy to spend time with my children.  I got another chance to speak into their lives and another moment just to be close to them. 

During my travels, I was able to see my oldest play in a football game.  As I sat there with my mother, brother, and his wife, my great nephew who was with us, asked me "what were we going to eat."  I, in almost a natural response, without even thinking on it said, "hot-air pudding and pine floats."  Now I know what you are thinking.  What in the world...?  He has lost his mind!

But stay with me here for there is a learning point 43 years in the making here.  My mother quickly started to laugh and said, "I can't believe you remember that!"  You see, our mother would come home every day from work, and being a single parent, we boys would often meet her at the door with, "What's for dinner?"  After a long hard day at work, she barely had time to come in the door and we were ready to pounce on her wanting our belly’s filled.  So everyday her response to us, in an attempt to say "get out of my face", was "hot-air pudding a pine floats!"

The point I make here is I heard this daily.  It was engrafted into my daily life and made to be part of my fiber and make-up.  So naturally when I was posed the question years later, I naturally regurgitated what had been poured into me all of my life.

You see, the bible says, "Train up a child, in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it."  Proverbs 22:6  It does not say they will not stray but that they will find their selves again.  Our job as parents, is to make sure we pour into our children daily, and then to keep them from killing their selves unto they begin to regurgitate what the LORD tells us to put into them.

One thing I started to do was text and email a "Daddy's Daily Love" to them.  It’s a verse from the bible that will guide them in their life.  It’s one small thing, but who knows, maybe one day they will find their selves doing the same for their children?




No comments:

Post a Comment