Thursday, August 1, 2013

Moses' Second Complaint "Who is God?"

"Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say to them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is His name? what shall I say unto them? -Exodus 3:13

At this point, God had already revealed Himself to Moses, and he believed in God Jehovah. However the children of Israel were not privy to this encounter. They had not experienced a "burning bush" encounter as of yet. Living among the Egyptians, who had a polytheistic society, one which had many gods and a name for each one, Moses anticipated they would ask his God's name.  

God responds in His true splendor and glorious nature, "I AM THAT I AM" or the EVER-present and Living One. God established He is the God of right now. Then, He reaches back to the beginning to show He is the God of the past when things started; "Thus you shall say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you".  He also reaches into eternity future, showing it will be Him until the end of time; "this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

God is clearly the God of all. He was and is and is to come. Since He created all things, and without Him nothing was made that was made, He can handle any task He calls us to do. We just need to know Him

No comments:

Post a Comment